Thursday 8 September 2011

Training, less than one month to go

I now have just 3 weeks before the cycle challenge!! The amount of donations has increased further and I have now raised £5058 which is fantastic. The charity will also receive UK gift aid adding more to the fund.

I am fully focussed on preparing myself for the trip. I will have my last jab shortly (rabies) and start the anti malaria tablets before travelling. Then it is all systems go.

Pretty much all my spare time is now spent clocking up miles and time in the saddle. As well as weekends, I have been riding to and from work. Although not too far, this is a 22 mile round trip, with 2000 ft of hill climbing.

The training plan given to us included back to back cycling days; spending at least 5 hours on the bike each day. I have done this a couple of times and apart from bum ache I would say I achieved this quite well.

The cycle challenge will take us off road so I have included some local forestry trails in my programme. I particularly enjoy this as it is more interesting, requiring balance and confidence as well as building fitness.

I had a set back last week as my bike was stolen whilst locked to my car!!!!!

I was on the way to visit my brother in Birmingham (who is also doing the challenge) with a view to cycling off road at Cannock Chase. I hired a bike for the day so at least I could maintain the training.

Thankfully the insurance came through promptly and I have managed to purchase a replacement bike quickly as I need to continue training.

I want to say a big thank you to Nathan at Evans Cycles in Castleford for listening to my circumstances and giving me a good deal.

The new bike is great and I just need to spend as much time as possible in the saddle to get it moulded to my shape.

More cycling this weekend, weather permitting, high winds and rain forecast.

I am new to blogging, but hope to keep up regular postings and add photos for you to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment