Tuesday 4 October 2011

Day 3 Aburi to Koforidua

This was a long day cycling sapped by very hot temperatures. In the afternoon it hit 38 degrees and felt unbearably hot; cycling makes you feel cooler but when stopped the heat hits you immediately. I really enjoyed today but the last 10km was really exhausting as I was physically drained. This is the longest day of cycling I have ever done and I feel fantastic as to my progress so far.

Today we completed 78 km with a good deal on rough roads. Whoever said Ghana was fairly flat is not telling the truth, as we climbed 3700 ft during the day. Altogether we have now completed over 10000 ft of climbing and 8500 calories of energy burned up. We are now over half way and I still feel in good shape (apart form some discomfort 'downstairs')

We are really experiencing rural Ghana passing small villages and the odd town with a bustling market, full of small stallholders selling everything dead and alive.

The start of the day was particularly rewarding as we completed an excellent downhill offroad run. Only one spill in the group and not a major injury.


I've eaten loads of dust as any traffic passing throws up loads of red dust. I can draw a picture in the dust stuck on my legs.

We are passing lots of people walking by the roadside, travelling to market or bringing a crop back home for cooking, Banana, Pineapple, Plantain, Cocoa crops can all be seen from the roadside.


We enjoyed a spag bol lunch prepared by Peter the chef, a Ghanaian Rasta blasting out Bob Marley music from his truck. Jim provided entertainment to the local kids while we waited.


Lunch was on time today enabling us to complete our day by 5pm. After lunch we passed a bustling market, the photo is of a market trader selling sandals made from old car tyres and you would not believe what people are trying to stuff into taxis.


I found the last stretch of 10km very hard as I my battery was low. The overall exertions of the day had caught up with me. Although I feel I am eating and drinking a lot it still clearly is not enough to maintain energy levels. We finished the day through the busy town of Koforidua which was tricky given the rush hour and we had to cross the town to reach our overnight stop. Just finished a good hearty meal which will set me up well for tommorrow.

The map of the ride:




Gary



1 comment:

  1. Great photos Gary - glad you are enjoying it - loving reading this and seeing the photos. Good luck with the rest of it

    ReplyDelete