Monday 17 October 2011

I did it!

One last blog to let you know that I am home safe and sound.

It has taken me some time to recover but what an amazing physical and mental experience.

Again, I have to thank you for your fantastic donations, which now total £5174 and keep on coming.

The feeling riding into Tafo, being greeted by 100s lining the street, was a truly touching and humbling moment.

 
Seeing one of the new wells and hearing how much of a difference it is already making was really rewarding.

Between all cyclists the fund raising has exceeded the target. This will mean more can be done.

This was the first time this type of event has taken place in Ghana. We soon got used to african culture and the occasional mishap paled insignificantly against the rich experience.

I would like to mention Classic Tours, their local partners Scorpion travel and Kofi's bike hire company who did a great job, keeping us comfortable and pedalling towards our goal. Humphrey, the Chair of Friends of Tafo and the installed development chief of Tafo was absolutely brilliant. His positive attitude and passion to drive improvements in the town was inspirational.

Over the 400km ride we covered incredibly varied terrain, most of the ride was dusty, rutted and unsurfaced. At the end of each day I was filthy with dirt but completed the challenge unscathed. I did fall off a couple of times but this was in soft sand. The friendly football match ended up adding to the physical challenge. The pitch was not Wembley stadium!

The ups and downs of the hills will stick with me for a long time. I am glad the views were worth each climb.


Route from Cape Coast to Tafo
Altogether we ascended the equivalent height of Mt Kilimanjaro.

My lasting memory is the cheerfulness of the Ghanaian people. Everyone was so friendly and the children so inquisitive. It really must have been a sight to see 24 White Cyclists huffing and puffing in the heat.

I met some great cycling friends. We supported each other and all completed the journey safely into Tafo.

Gary



No comments:

Post a Comment